RARA-AVIS: Guides

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 30 Jul 2001

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Mario Taboada wrote:

> Really, can you trust an encyclopedia of crime that omits
> Willeford? That's like omitting Chandler or Hammett (I'm
> talking about quality, not about sales or fame).

Mario is referring to the St. James Guide to Crime and Mystery Writers.

And yes, that's what I have been wondering about myself. You could probably say, based on books like "The Woman Chaser" and "Cockfighter", that Willeford wasn't a crime novelist, but after the Hoke Moseley series that should be impossible. They have guys like Richard Deming and Day Keene there, so there should be room for one obscure paperback writer more. With the exception that Willeford wasn't an obscure paperback writer anymore during his late career. Someone like Deming wrote PBO's all the way through his life.

Juri