RE: RARA-AVIS: reading and cooking

From: Anthony Dauer (
Date: 28 Jul 2001

You may have failed your own test here ... Spenser quoting from books would be a "show" not a "tell" as ... he picked up John Irving's latest and started to read where he left off ... would be in comparison. As far as Spenser goes, I don't think there's a general acceptance that he's even hard-boiled to begin with. Marlowe cooks or fries at least.

Anthony Dauer, MS MIS
Alexandria, Virginia

Judas is looking for a few Femme Fatales for its next issue:
-----Original Message----- From: Dixon H. Chandler II Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2001 8:53 AM
But here, I disagree. Spenser QUOTES a lot, but I don't recall his ever actually reading a book. I've just read three recent Spensers in a row, and he watches football on TV, but doesn't read. Marlowe, on the other hand, READS. That's why Chandler is a more careful writer than Parker, and a better one. He follows that grad school dictum: "Show, don't tell."
-- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at .