RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Da Booze, Da Horse, Da US edition of THE COLLE CTED MYSTERY STORIES OF LAWRENCE BLOCK

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 24 Jul 2001

Is there a US edition? What I picked up recently at a local Goliath BookPulper was the Orion, which btw has a lousy binding in the oversize paperback. If there is a US edition, I wonder why it wasn't in evidence...but perhaps this was a copy from a previous order. Mention is made within, iirc, of the recentish latter '50s/early '60s bottom-of-the-market cf digest stories collection with--it was Crippen and Landru, eh? As being for the more completist Block head. TM

-----Original Message----- From: Graham Powell [mailto: bleekerbooks@hotmail.com]

>And speaking of Block short story collections, I am
>working my way through _The Collected Mystery
>Stories_, which was published only (to my knowledge)
>in Great Britain by Orion in 1999. I don't know why
>there seems to be no U.S. version--it's a great
>collection, with something like 70 shorts.

There is in fact an American version. I haven't got it yet, but I've read three previous Block anthologies, and he's a terrific short story writer. I

only wish he wrote more Scudder shorts.