RARA-AVIS: Prologues

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 24 Jul 2001

Mario Taboada writes:

<< I cannot
 complain of prologues because Cervantes, one of my favorite
 novelists, wrote several of the best of them, invaluable
 documents. And James Ellroy's excellent prologue to
 _American Tabloid_ is the best part of the book. >>

Since James Ellroy claims to read no fiction except Don DeLillo's "Libra," perhaps he thought of DeLillo for his prologue. DeLillo's work borders off topic (except perhaps for his influence on Ellroy), but I can think of two important DeLillo prologues, one in Mao II and one in (the vaguely hardboiled?) Players. Doug