RARA-AVIS: RE: Da Booze and O'Connell

From: Daniel Sevitt ( DANIELSE@Amdocs.com)
Date: 24 Jul 2001

Somebody already mentioned Mr Pelecanos. In Down by the River where the Dead Men Go, the entire plot is based around Nick's drinking. He witnesses a murder half-conscious following a binge, ditches one of the sexiest girlfriends in print because he can't control his (or her) drinking and spends most evenings in the closed bar where he works drowning not just his own sorrows but most of the rest of DC's.

On the subject of Jack O'Connell, I just finished Word Made Flesh last night having read all his others. It is a quite remarkable book having less with hardboiled detective fiction and far more with questions of faith after the Holocaust and the power of language to corrupt and destroy. I don't think I could recommend it to Chandler fans, but if your reading also takes in Umberto Eco and Primo Levi then this could be the one to float your boat.

Daniel Sevitt danielse@amdocs.com
+972 9 776 3552