Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Prologues

From: Mark Sullivan (
Date: 23 Jul 2001

Jean wrote:

"I'm reading an otherwise decent novel now that took an event from mid-story and turned it into a prologue. That doesn't work, at least not for me."

These are the kinds of prologues that bug me, too. They seem to function as nothing more than teasers. I don't think it's a coincidence that they are often the preview printed at the end of the paperback printing of the writer's previous book. These strike me as a failure of nerve. Instead of writing an involving first chapter, the author simply grabs a bit of the climactic action to hook the reader, then goes back to the beginning.