Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Prologues

From: Jeanheller@aol.com
Date: 23 Jul 2001

I'm finding the discussion of prologues interesting, though it's about the fourth or fifth I've seen in the last few years. One of the members of this list whom I have seen express deep doubts about prologues is the editor who bought my first novel -- prologue and all.

I have written three novels, two with prologues and one without. The one without didn't need a prologue. It would have been forced. The other two had prologues that chronicled events that occurred months or years before the main body of the story, yet were the seminal events without which no story would have existed. That is my personal preference for prologues. I'm reading an otherwise decent novel now that took an event from mid-story and turned it into a prologue. That doesn't work, at least not for me.

Jean Heller