Re: RARA-AVIS: Da Booze

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@verizon.net)
Date: 23 Jul 2001

"A Firing Offense" by George P. Pelecanos

I think "The Long Goodbye" is the Chandler story that starts out with Marlowe meeting this guy in a bar and drinking is a reoccuring event throughout ... don't have my library with me to check. If I'm wrong I'm positive someone will point out my mistake for us.

Anthony

----- Original Message ----- From: < Mrriter@aol.com> Sent: Monday, 23 July, 2001 11:36 AM

> I finally read When The Sacred Gin Mill Closes. Most of you already know
> that Block's novel is many things in addition to a great crime story. It
has
> to be one of the all time drinking books. Coincidentally, I also recently
> reread The Thin Man, another novel where drinking has an important role,
> written by a person who apparently knew what he was talking about. I
recall
> that a good chunk of Crumley's The Last Good Kiss takes place in bars.
Any