Re: RARA-AVIS: Da Booze

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Jul 2001

Manuel:

<<I finally read When The Sacred Gin Mill Closes. Most of you already know that Block's novel is many things in addition to a great crime story. It has to be one of the all time drinking books. Coincidentally, I also recently reread The Thin Man, another novel where drinking has an important role, written by a person who apparently knew what he was talking

about. I recall that a good chunk of Crumley's The Last Good Kiss takes place in bars. Any other alcohol-soaked tales you would recommend? I must be interested because a bout with a virus has put me on the wagon for a couple of

weeks.>>

All three of these authors know alcohol intimately. I think Block quit, just like Scudder. Crumley declared that he comes from a family of heavy drinkers and that he continues the tradition.

An old writer who routinely featured alcohol in his novels and stories is Fredric Brown. I particularly recall _Murder Can Be Fun_, which could be retitled _Boozing Can Be Fun_. The book, a midboiled mystery, consists of a series of scenes whose purpose seems to be punctuate the drinking.

Regards,

MrT

=====