Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Jul 2001

--- Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:

> And Robert B. Parker has a female series character
> now.

She is featured in two novels. The first was written at the request of Helen Hunt, who optioned the book for a movie in which, of course, she would play the protagonist. I think the character name is Sunny McKay, and the first book is _Family Honor_, or something like that. The reason I'm unsure is that, although I own the book, I've never been able to make it more than about 25 pages into it before giving up.

Either Parker has no idea how a female protagonist should be written or I have no idea how a female protagonist should be read. Or both. The book is the worst Parker I've read--or tried to. And that's saying something. Incidentally, I've read all of Parker's fiction except _Gunman's Rhapsody_, his new western.

G.