Re: RARA-AVIS: Dan Marlowe

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 22 Jul 2001

Paul wrote:

"I loved the 1st two books in the "Drake" series, though I hear that the subsequent ones are not up to snuff."

I agree about the Drake books. Name of the Game and One Endless Hour are both excellent, but Operaton Fireball is a huge drop off. I hear they only get worse from there.

I recently read Vengeance Man. It was good, but it was more of a smalltown politics and corruption book. I prefer his loner and/or criminal books. Four for the Money was excellent.

I'm currently reading Never Live Twice. Less than half way through, it's an odd amalgam of a spy novel and a "man with amnesia trying to find out what happened to him" book. So far it's pretty good, but I'll be a bit surprised if he can pull it all together satisfactorily.

By the way, Marlowe breaks one of Leonard's rules in this book, opens with a prologue. However, there would have been no other way to provide the information it contains. It describes in third person what happened just before Ted Blaine lost his memory. The rest of the book is a first person account by Blaine's from the moment he wakes up with amnesia. The little bit of information the reader has that Blaine doesn't makes for a nice tension.

Mark