RARA-AVIS: Dan Simmons' HARDCASE

From: r-and-jclinton ( r-and-jclinton@msn.com)
Date: 21 Jul 2001

I just last evening finished up genre-hopping author Dan Simmons' HARDCASE, his self-proclaimed homage to Richard Stark and the Parker novels (in fact, this novel is dedicated to Stark "...who sometimes writes under the wussy pseuodonym of Donald Westlake"). It's a fabulous homage, filled with all the elements that have made the Parker series a favorite among many of us: lean, tough, mean, violent; a brutal and gripping tale of sheer anti-hero ferocity - I can't recommend it more highly.

Ron Clinton