Re: RARA-AVIS: Elmore Leonard in the NYT

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 20 Jul 2001

> What I want to know is why the hell everybody seems to have it in for the
> poor adverb these days? I *like* adverbs. This smacks of part-of-speech
> discrimination to me.

What a heavy accusation. I think the problem with adverbs is that they assume a general reaction or state-of-being for every reader. "He said happily or sadly or mordantly or abusively etc etc" doesn't tell me anything specific about that particular moment in the life of the character. Just a general generic blanket term. Describing action and movement specifically just feels and sounds better to me.

My op, anyway.

Neil Smith