RARA-AVIS: New Member

From: Dan Alban ( frimp13@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Jul 2001

Greetings all,

I'm a new member of Rara Avis and am just getting into the whole hard-boiled scene. (I apologize to those of you who are also members of the Yahoo Group Hard-Boiled for cluttering your inbox twice with a similar email.) My strong interest in film noir (I'm a huge film buff) naturally led me to Hammett, Cain, Chandler, et al.

Right now I'm reading the Hard-Boiled anthology ("The Scarred Face" was fantastic!) and listening to Hammett's "Red Harvest" on tape while I commute. As a DC area resident, I just started reading George P Pelecanos' novel "A Firing Offense" last night, and am enjoying it.

Incidentally, my favorite classic noir films are Double Indemnity, The Big Sleep, and Out of the Past. Of the neo-noirs, I'm partial to Chinatown, Blade Runner and Blood Simple.

Cheers, Dan Alban

=====
"Thank God we don't get all the government we pay for."
- Will Rogers

"Sometimes it is said that man cannot be trusted with the government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?"
- Thomas Jefferson