RARA-AVIS: Happy birthday Hugh

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 12 Jul 2001

Thanks Doug for the notice of Hugh B. Cave's 91st birthday. That is such good news. I think I first read him when I picked up his Haiti novel and discovered his pulp fiction when stories were reprinted in Startling Mystery Stories and the other Health Knowledge mags back in the late 60s and early 70s. It is amazing how he has remained active and creative so late in life. It reminds me of another old pulpster E. Hoffman Price. One day soon I am going to check into your website and order Cave's book as well as others such as the Clark Howard.

Please give that grand old man my best wishes and I hope to be reading his stories for years to come.

Todd's comment about Ziff-Davis buying all rights to stories and his mention of the Ultimate Publications that reprinted without payment reminded me of a story. Robert Moore Williams became so outraged at this practice that he picketed newstands carrying the Ultimate Publications and it resulted in a newspaper article and picture.

Richard A. Moore