RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Recycling

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@verizon.net)
Date: 10 Jul 2001

While up until the 60s it appears to have been fairly common for some performance artists to sell or turnover the rights to their music to their record labels, I'm not sure if that's ever been true with writers and thus the author would own the copyright not the publishing company. The rights purchased would be limited to first North American or European or Asian or Wherever and possibly foreign and paperback too, but there would be a limit to what rights the publisher owned. I doubt any would have the ability to sue unless the author were to publish with them one month and then with someone else in the same covered area the next.

--
Anthony Dauer
Alexandria, Virginia

Judas is looking for a few Femme Fatales for its next issue:
http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/
-----Original Message----- From: Mark Sullivan Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 2:18 PM
I wonder, though, if any publishers have tried to sue, or get remuneration for authors' recycling of stories on which they might hold the copyright.