RE: RARA-AVIS: Pulps

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 10 Jul 2001

There is a CD-ROM ARGOSY index available just recently, and I don't know how many others there might be. Have a query in (to Mike Ashley--Mike, are you onlist here?) about how one obtains a COOK'S INDEX to ARGOSY, which presumably includes the ALL-STORY-fusion issues (or perhaps I assume too much). TM

-----Original Message----- From: George Upper [mailto: gcupper3@yahoo.com]

1. Does anyone have any idea what the lag time between submission and publication would have been for
"Black Mask" and/or "The American Magazine" in the early 1920s? I'm wondering if, for example, I could make an argument that a story published in "American" in, say, August 1923, was probably written prior to a story published in "Mask" that same month. I'm assuming that the lag time was probably longer for
"American" than "Mask," but that's only a hunch. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Is there, to anyone's knowledge, an index to the
"Argosy All-Story" for the 1920s? Good collections of the mag itself are hard to find--it looks like I'm going to have to go out of state to do the reading I need to do, as it is--but I could save myself some time if I could track down such an index, if it exists. If it doesn't, wouldn't that make one heck of a Master's Thesis for somebody?