RARA-AVIS: Re: Recycling

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 09 Jul 2001

Didn't Block cannibalize "By Dawn's Early Light" into "When The Sacred Ginmill Closes"? I think this practise used to be much more common back when people were churning out pulp stories by the hundreds. It wasn't uncommon for writers to take one or more short stories and expand them into a "fix-up" novel (so termed by sci-fi writer A. E. Van Vogt, who should know because he did this a lot).

More recently, I remember that portions of the plot of Pronzini's
"Labyrinth", a Nameless mystery, were recycled from a short story called "A Cold Day In November" (I think that's right), and I understand he recycled
"Incident In A Neighborhood Tavern", although I'm not sure which novel it was made into.

Graham

--------------- http://www.BleekerBooks.com Hardboiled and Noir