Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Recycling

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Jul 2001

<I'm no scholar of McBain, just a fan, but it seems to me he did. Even within the 87th series. Is it me, or do several of his books kick off with or at least feature his "Isola is a lady" rap? And sometimes I'll read a later book in the series, and I'll swear I've read the same description or scene or extended metaphor in an earlier book.>>

I've noticed some recycling, but nothing too scandalous. The caveat is that my mind melds all the 87th precinct novels into one narrative. That's what makes the series great for me.

Additionally, many authors use short stories as experiments or first versions, particularly when introducing new protagonists.

Frank Kane, anyone?

Regards,

MrT

=====