Re: RARA-AVIS: Gangsters

From: Philip Benz ( Philip.Benz@wanadoo.fr)
Date: 04 Jul 2001

Mark Sullivan wrote:
> Leonard J. Leff's and Jerold L. Simmons's The Dame in the Kimono:
> Hollywood, Censorship, & the Production Code from the 1920s to the
> 1960s.

Of the books Mark mentioned, this one sounds like the one closest to my interests. I already have several versions of the Hays code (two are available online) and have been reading Joan Copjec's _Shades of Noir_, Nicole Rafter's _Shots in the Mirror_ and, as I said earlier, Munby's
_Public Enemies, Public Heroes_. The last far outshines the other two.

It's quite a bit of fun catching up on some of the earliest talking gangster films -- such a startling departure from the post-code sanitized films we see much more often. The Tom Powers character in
"The Public Enemy" is a striking example of everything the code was designed to prevent!

Thanx again for the help, Mark & Bill, I knew I could count on you!

Cheers, --- Phil Lyc饠Astier, Aubenas, France