RARA-AVIS: Alexander & Seabiscuit

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 04 Jul 2001

The non-fiction bestseller SEABISCUIT by Laura Hillenbrand is an extraordinary book, well-researched and well-written. Some of the best first-hand accounts quoted were by David Alexander, who not only witnessed many of the key events but also was a close friend of jockey Red Pollard. Through email I confirmed with Hillenbrand that this was the same David Alexander who wrote the Bart Hardin series and other mysteries in the 1950s and 60s. Titles included PAINT THE TOWN BLACK, PENNIES FROM HELL, TERROR ON BROADWAY AND THE MADHOUSE IN WASHINGTON SQUARE.

While a few have praised his work since his death in 1973 (Pronzini for one), I can't recall any reprints in the last quarter of a century.

Richard A. Moore