Re: RARA-AVIS: weeding out

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Jul 2001

--- Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:

> Are any of the following worth holding onto and
maybe
> even reading?
>
> two titles featuring Mac Slade Private Dick by John
> Blumenthal

Mark--

These two are, I believe, the only two Blumenthal wrote. They are, in my opinion, very funny...but I like the Chance Perdue novels, too, which were recently decried here. The Mac Slade novels are something like _Airplane_ in book form--a very similar type of humor. They are also very clever send-ups of the stereotypical PI story a la (my email won't insert the quotation marks, sorry) the Red Diamond, Private Eye trilogy.

Another good thing about Blumenthal--he's a very, very quick read. So if you end up not liking the books, you won't have lost much time reading them.

G.