Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Realistic HB

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Jun 2001

<for my money, Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series does an outstanding job with versimilitude.>>

I agree. He pays a lot of attention to detail. I'm not that crazy about Harry Bosch, but Connelly knows how to build suspense within very complicated plots. His prose is clean and unobtrusive and the pace is well-judged. Already in his first novel he was technically outstanding.

Another author whose stories I find credible is the late George Higgins. The books can be tough to read, particularly when they are told through dialogue, but in the end the thing convinces.

And this one is for Gores fans: was anyone shocked by the cottonmouth trick he pulled at the end of one of his novels? (I'm not saying which novel in order not to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet.) Outrageous and unbelievable as it is, the trick fits the novel.

Lastly, Constantine's _Cranks and Shadows_ reads more like a memoir than a fictional account. There's real emotion there.

Post-lastly, T. Jefferson Parker's _The Triggerman's Dance_ sounds quite credible to me. The author seems to avoid the standard tricks and (like Connelly) adopts a journalistic objectivity without sounding distant. This is a highly recommendable book and author.

Regards,

MrT

=====