Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Realistic HB (Was: Estleman's MOTOR CITY BLUE)

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Jun 2001

I remember when I first joined this list there was a debate on this subject. Personally, I feel the search for "realistic" hardboiled fiction is a search for fool's gold. All stories by definition are make-believe -- the trick is how well or badly you pull off the "illusion" of reality.

Vachss, I think, probably knows/understands more about the seamier side of life than most hb writers. That doesn't make his latest books particularly good.

My two cents, doug

Currently reading Peter Rabe's THE BOX, from the PURE PULP anthology.

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com