RARA-AVIS: Re: Estleman

From: MysteryMarkBest@aol.com
Date: 27 Jun 2001

In a message dated 06/27/2001 4:17:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time, owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca writes:

<< It seems, from my small exposure, that over the years Estleman honed his
 craft, the Walker books settled into a groove, and Walker himself stayed
 an anachronistic PI, but a more fleshed-out and real person. MOTOR CITY
 was very early Estleman, and he's gotten a lot better since. Would those
 who've read more Walker books agree? Is there a book you'd recommend
 starting with, from which to work through the rest of the series? >>

The first Walker I read was Sugartown, which I believe won the Shamus award back in the 80s. It obviously worked for me, because I've read every Walker novel since then.

Mark