RARA-AVIS: Haut's Pulp Culture

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 24 Jun 2001

I picked up Woody Haut's PULP CULTURE (1995) last week, and whizzed through it over the weekend. It seemed like a decent enough look at the writers and style and time, but it's no masterpiece of criticism. I was reminded of a lengthy undergrad thesis. Do others think more highly of it? I won't complain too much about anyone who writes about Chandler, Thompson, Spillane, Browne, Brackett, Hitchens, Hughes, Willeford, Williams, etc., but if you haven't read it, don't be depressed.

On another point, how did Kenneth Millar (Ross Macdonald) pronounce his last name? Like regular Miller, or Mih-LAR? (His real name was a question on a game show in an episode of the American TV show "Diagnosis Murder," of all places, and it was pronounced the second way.)

Bill