RARA-AVIS: Ellroy again

From: Bill Crider ( abc@wt.net)
Date: 22 Jun 2001

I was rummaging around today and ran across the first issue of Mysterious News, the little zine Otto Penzler used to publicize Mysterious Press about 15 years ago. The middle spread is Ellroy talking about his favorite subject: Ellroy. Here's one thing he says about his Lloyd Hopkins character: "Hopkins is my antidote to the reluctantly tough, world-weary, soft-hearted, beer-drinking, woman-yearing, hard-boiled hero I despise." I always sort of liked that guy, myself.

And speaking of Ellroy reminds me that people who like his tangled conspiracies might like The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. I think of it as the ultimate conspiracy book(s), but it's a bit off-topic.

Bill Crider