RARA-AVIS: Northerns: Smith

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 18 Jun 2001

Sorry, Kevin--didn't mean to hit a sore point! When I think of northerns, I tend to forget about the Dudley Do-Right stuff in favor of the northerns written by folk who knew what they were talking about and weren't afraid to write so, from Jack London onward.

Btw, the fantasy you have of DC below (incorporating both One Man Standing Tall and his cell phone), as I think George Pelecanos can attest, is currently being played out every week on CBS as THE DISTRICT. TM

-----Original Message----- From: Kevin Burton Smith [mailto: kvnsmith@colba.net]

It would be almost like Canadians expecting to see slaves picking cotton in Colorado, or to see the Washington, D.C. chief of police wearing a big star on his vest and twin Colt Peacemakers hung low, marching down Main Street alone at high noon for a showdown with some dangerous desperado. Instead of just using his cell to call in the SWAT team.