Re: RARA-AVIS: Novel by Hugo (Richard)

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 17 Jun 2001

Not forgetting he was a good friend of James Crumley, who in turn refers to Hugo and its (only) crime novel quite a few times. They met at the University of Montana (Missoula), as professors.

I red this novel early this year and, as claimed by many, it's in the Chandler tradition -and even with somewhat from Ross Mc Donald here and there (IMO). But the style of writing is not a mimic of Chandler's. Big part of it takes place in Montana. I really enjoyed the second half of the book, noir and gripping. First publication was in 1981, and Hugo died in 82.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocoties.com/Athens/6384