RE: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy - SALON and marketing: Benz after all

From: Mario Taboada (
Date: 14 Jun 2001

<<...the presumption that the shelves that held Harold Robbins were inherently better than the shelves that held Hammett or Fritz Leiber...>>

If the shelves of said establishment contained works by Fritz Leiber, I would be lenient. It would be a joint classier than most (H.W. Fowler, get away from me!).

Free association (Fowler did keep his distance, but he looks worried): Willeford was a syntactic genius, like Borges. I know of no other noir or crime writer who worked so brilliantly at the level of the sentence. And here comes E.B. White to my rescue (coveralls, hands dirty):

"The question of ear is vital."

Regards, and please excuse a rambling post.