RARA-AVIS: Re: Librarians and the Hard Boiled

From: r-and-jclinton ( r-and-jclinton@msn.com)
Date: 14 Jun 2001

From: < jjnevins@ix.netcom.com>
> You've never been in a library that had Science Fiction, Mystery,
> Western, Horror, and/or Romance sections? Ever?

Never. Never ever. I seem to recall perhaps visiting one library out of state that had mysteries grouped together, but that was it; all other non-juvenile fiction works lumped under Fiction.. Otherwise it's always been a clear distinction of two subsets: either Fiction or Non-Fiction. It certainly sounds like your experience with various library systems vastly outweighs mine, so I'll conceed that perhaps my experiences may indeed be the exception and not the rule. My hope is perhaps someday my local library system will follow your lead; I'd much prefer the more brower-friendly seperation/catagorization of genres.

Ron Clinton