Re: Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy reviewd at Salon: after all

From: jjnevins@ix.netcom.com
Date: 14 Jun 2001

rara-avis@icomm.ca wrote:
> I miswrote there, it should read: ''... why are those works not
> shelved [library] in their genre ..." My point being that if
> publishers are determining it for both bookstores and libraries,
> King for example is in the genre ghetto in a bookstore and thus
> should be in the same place in the library. Granted, King's works
> have been going beyond simply being horror novels and that very
> well may be why some are moving out.

I've sometimes seen King's books in the Fiction section in bookstores, but in libraries he's almost always put in Fiction.

He's just one example, though. There are lots of others, like Butler and Cady, who get put in Fiction almost automatically in both bookstores and libraries.

> Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying your experience as being
> true ... just that it doesn't match mine from the other perspective
> of the bookstore.

Fair enough. Perhaps my experience with libraries is not the norm, although I've worked as a librarian in the midwest, northeast, and the south, so I think it's not a geographic quirk.

> Granted, based on the personalities of some of the bookstore
> workers I've met, I wouldn't be surprised if they read the
> publisher's recommendation and then put it where they thought it
> belonged any way even if that opposed the genre printed on the
> cover (I've seen that even when it was a non-fiction work).

I do that myself. Among other reasons, it brings readers into sections of bookstores and libraries where they might not otherwise go.

jess