Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy

From: Chris Routledge ( srcrout@ntlworld.com)
Date: 14 Jun 2001

Jess wrote:

>Chris, you should try reading more Barra before you dismiss him
>like that. He's made a living as a freelance writer in places as
>diverse as the Wall Street Journal and the Village Voice. He's a
>long sight distant from the type of writer you describe.
>
>And, as it happens, he -does- know his crime fiction.

Ok, maybe I was unfair on Barra. I'm probably closer to that type of writer myself. But I think he had a bad day at the office. I do get annoyed, though, when otherwise clever, intelligent and respected people are allowed to get away with making dumb comments about populer fiction. They wouldn't get away with it talking about "great books". Sarah Dunant, the British crime writer and literary journalist was at a conference earlier this year where she stated that American crime writing was different from the British tradition. The British version, apparently, is more cosy. Well done, Sarah. Yet I've read academic reviews of that conference where the writer comments on what Dunant said as if it were some great revelation. People who *do* know their stuff (like Barra?) have to work hard to stay above that level. I don't think Barra did this time.

Cheers Chris