RARA-AVIS: Ellroy reviewd at Salon; Spillane still not dead

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 13 Jun 2001

Here's Ellroy's new book reviewed by an idiot at Salon:

         http://www.salon.com/books/review/2001/06/13/ellroy/print.html

It features such gems as: "Fans of crime thrillers would have complained that AMERICAN TABLOID was nearly as impenetrable as ULYSSES--that is, if fans of crime thrillers had known what ULYSSES is" and "If Ellroy wants to ditch the genre label, it might be time for him to ditch the territory. I mean, fuck being a crime novelist if you can be a flat-out great novelist." It's one of the stupidest book reviews I've read in a long time.

There's also an AP wire story by one Hillel Italie going around about Mickey Spillane and how he's not dead yet. I can't give a direct URL but if you go to

        http://www.globeandmail.ca/

and search on "spillane" it'll be the only link. That'll work for a week. He's 83 now, and still going strong. The first three Hammer books are coming out in an ombibus edition soon--all his stuff is currently out of print.

Bill