Re: RARA-AVIS: Ross Spencer

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jun 2001

--- abc < abc@wt.net> wrote:
> Well, speaking of idiots, I read The DADA Caper and
> several
> other Ross Spencer books. I thought they were
> pretty
> amusing at the time, but I have pretty low tastes.
> suppose entire books composed of one-sentence
> paragraphs can
> get irritating to some people, but it worked for me,
> at
> least for a while. I still have the books, but I
> haven't
> tried re-reading them.

Bill, I agree totally. I found him very funny. And someone--Pronzini, I think, but don't hold me to that--has said that Spencer is the first HB PI writer in decades to do anything new with the genre. Although, he wrote that some time ago--I'm going to guess about 1985, but I don't have it in front of me.

G.