Re: RARA-AVIS: hard boiled creation & Ross Macdonald

From: a.n.smith ( ansmith@netdoor.com)
Date: 11 Jun 2001

> <<I've always seen Macdonald listed with the hard-boiled
> writers, so your comment puzzled me.>>
>
> Yes, that's the conventional placed assigned him, but we
> have to be careful with labels. This is rara-avis. We like
> to make things complicated...

Keeping Archer as a hard-boiled PI complicates things a lot more than saying he's not, if you ask me. It complicates the comfy notion of what some consider to be hard-boiled, a notion that keeps lesser writers mired in the cliché³ they picked up off the movie versions of Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep, eh?