Re: RARA-AVIS: WHO created the hard-boiled story?

From: Mario Taboada (
Date: 11 Jun 2001

Mark Sullivan:

<<I saw the cable movie based on this. It was pretty generic, although it starred Yancy Butler, a fave of mine, who did a good job as the increasingly creepy stalking Ex.>>

I haven't seen the movie, but the book struck me as a superior effort, a sort of feverish Gil Brewer Gold Medal written by a much better writer -- this is a good place to note that Brewer, who's generally not considered one of the best Gold Medalists, was a good writer. He came up with interesting stories, which is perhaps all that counts in the long run.

Speaking of contemporary writing: has anyone read Grafton's latest? A neighbor was done with it and I had nothing to read, so I started it. I couldn't get past page 20 or so. The reasons why I stopped reading this author still obtain, it seems. Obtain? I'd better stop. My brain is in two places, pieces, forthwith, notwithstanding, hitherto, inasmuch as.