RARA-AVIS: Holloway House

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 01 Jun 2001

I'm familiar with Holloway House as the "World's Largest Publisher of Black Experience Paperbacks," as they bill themselves, the publisher of Iceberg Slim, Donald Goines, etc. However, I just got a copy of the Joe Gores anthology Speak of the Devil and noted in the acknowledgements that several of his early stories were first published by Holloway House in Adam's Best Fiction (1966), Adam's Beside Reader Numer 41 (1971) and Adam's 1971 Yearbook (1971). Is this the same Holloway House? Who is Adam? Were these digests, anthologies, what? And was all the material in them mysteries, general fiction?

Mark