Re: RARA-AVIS: Demon Dog in Hogtown

From: Schooley ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 01 Jun 2001

William Denton wrote:

> James Ellroy hit Toronto and gave a short show at the Hart House Library
> tonight.

Probaby the best of hundreds of literary readings/author signings I've attended. Yeah, it was schtick, but it was good schtick, entertaining and informative schtick and if it made anyone in the audience prefer to read the books, well, that's what it's supposed to do.

The speed and style make it sound flippant, but Ellroy covers a lot of ground in a half-hour. So much that it makes changing the schtick redundant. If you've seen the show you'll like him or you won't. Buy the books or go fuck yourself, he isn't going to change.

I'd agree, though, that such packaged schtick probably makes it easier for someone who, like most writers, would prefer to be home, alone, working on the next story instead of working a room full of strangers.

Kerry

--

The evil that men do lives after them at http://www.murderoutthere.com
Literary events in Ontario's Golden Horseshoe and around the world at http://www.lit-electric.com
<<<<<<<<<<<IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES>>>>>>>>>>>>