RARA-AVIS: Reader's Guide to Ellroy

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 27 May 2001

I'm in the middle of THE COLD SIX THOUSAND right now. Does anyone else find it hard to keep track of all the characters, real and fictional, from book to book? It's been so long since I read AMERICAN TABLOID, or first met Pete Bondurant (he was introduced in one of the L.A. Quartet books, didn't he?) that I can't remember everyone's past. Sometimes there are minor characters I have to look up to see if they are real or not. With the people Ellroy's writing about, it can be hard to tell. Does anyone know if there's any sort of reader's guide to Ellroy's last six books? It'd make a good collaborative web project, or even a grad school thesis, with fictional characters tracked and real people and events annotated.

Bill