Re: RARA-AVIS: Jones Men

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 27 May 2001

Keith wrote:

"But note that the cops will continue their jobs despite that feeling of futility. I guess I find that admirable, in a sense, and more globally the first step towards finding long-term answers to problems like drug dealers, postitution, murder etc that (specifically) these cops encounter as an everyday reality. Running away doesn't solve anything."

True, although not all cops are noble. There is an unnamed corrupt cop who sold info to McDaniel. Still, Big Al, Wally Wells and Boone are heroes.

"It has been a couple of years, and there were many things I disliked about BULLET. Did you really get the sense that these utterly damaged people were going to somehow become functioning members of society, any society? I didn't."

I didn't buy it either. As a matter of fact, that false ending was one of my problems with the book (which I liked overall), that I felt we were supposed to believe Teran's happy family scenario. As a matter of fact, that is the big parting the book takes from its model, The Searchers, and its other remakes (like the movie Hardcore), allowing the frontier hero, Case, to join the family at the end, whereas the others
(Ethan Edwards/John Wayne in Searchers, Niki/Season Hubley in Hardcore) are left outside the door at the end, having no place in civilized society.

Mark