Re: RARA-AVIS: Race Williams and the KKK

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 May 2001

--- William Denton < buff@pobox.com> wrote: Are you planning on doing an edition of Race Williams stories?

That is something of an overstatement. I am writing my Master's thesis on him, with plans to expand it into a full dissertation. Practically forgotten until the early 70's, Daly still hasn't gotten the recognition he deserves. He was a hack without question, but he also invented an icon--arguably the most original American icon there is, the hard-boiled private eye. I think he needs a little more critical attention, from a cultural studies point of view; he couldn't write his way out of a paper bag, but he spoke to a nation pretty eloquently somehow anyway.

G.

===== George C. Upper III UNC-Greensboro
(336) 393-0013 The city don't know that the city is getting... a show with everything but Yul Brynner