Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 21 May 2001

Brad wrote about the appeal of despicable characters:

"If only we could convince Hollywood of that."

Way of the Gun is about the only recent Hollywood movie I can think of that doesn't cop-out in this area. Every time the main characters threaten to become likeable, McQuarrie throws in something to remind you just how amoral they were, that they will do absolutely anything to see things through. For instance, just after the exhcange with Juliette Lewis, in which they become somewhat empathetic, del Toro and Phillipe are shown brutally torturing one of the bodyguards for information.

I thought Way of the Gun was brilliant, but I've found very few to agree with me, that is if I can find anyone who has even heard of the movie. It wasn't exactly a hit, so I doubt it will change Hollywod's prime directive of making characters likeable. Just look at Parker, he was turned from an amoral criminal to a campy quipster in Payback.

Mark