Re: RARA-AVIS: Brit hardboiled (was Recent reads)

From: Chris Routledge ( srcrout@ntlworld.com)
Date: 21 May 2001

Mark wrote:

>And, of course, there's Ian Rankin if we expand Brit to include
>Scotland.

Beat me to it with Rankin. But no expansion required - Scotland is part of Great Britain, which is a geographical thing. A minority of Scots think it should have its freedom from the United Kingdom, which is a political one. Just don't use "England" when you mean "Great Britain". Then you'll find out how hard-boiled the Scots can be.

Anybody out there like to speculate on what makes Brit hard-boiled different from American? Is it just the descriptions of places and things, or is there a qualitative difference?

Cheers Chris (who is from the English/Scottish borders where this is a touchy subject)