Re: RARA-AVIS: Timlin (was Recent reads)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 21 May 2001

Doug and Scatalogic expressed their disappointment with Mark Timlin.

I've read three Timlins, including Romeo's Tune with which Doug was less than enthralled, and I have a stack of his other titles to be read. He ain't great lit, but I kind of enjoy him. It's strictly genre fare and doesn't pretend to be anything but that, stripped down to plot and attitude. Sometimes I want to read something like that just to clean the pallet.

I find it interesting to have the essentially American creation of the fictional private eye grafted onto the London scene. And grafted Sharman is. Timlin doesn't seem to try to integrate Sharman into the Brit world, but plays off the clash between the two (unlike John Milne, whose Jimmy Jenner is very Brit). I think of them as empty calorie books, they don't stick with you very long after you've finished them, but they're fun as you are reading them.

Mark