RARA-AVIS: Texas Writers

From: Mrriter@aol.com
Date: 17 May 2001

The May issue of Texas Monthly has a list of Texas writers who have "produced
 ... imaginative works about Texas ... significant works that somehow defined the state to itself, the nation, and the world. ... In other words, Texas literature, Capital L, is the guiding principle." Surprise, but there are some on the list that rara-avians should recognize even though we are talking about lit-rah-chure. For example, Phillip Atlee, James Lee Burke, James Crumley, Kinky Friedman, Joe Lansdale, Max Martinez, Rick Riordan, Thomas Zigal, and, of course, Bill Crider. Jim Thompson makes the cut as one of the writers who got to Texas "as soon as they could." There probably are other crime and hard-boiled authors on the list whose names didn't click with me or I just didn't see. (The font is god-awful small.) Manuel Ramos