Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 May 2001

It's been a while since I read that anthology (and right now it's packed away), but I do remember a superb Clark Howard story about a jazzman. The title is on the tip of my tongue. I also remember a fine P.I. story by our own James Reasoner. Or am I misremembering? Agreed on the other stories mentioned.

Now to Gores: I think he's one of the most complete crime writers ever (among current practitioners that I've read, only Westlake and Block have such a wide range). The guy is marvelously concise without sounding like a machine gun
(hint for Ellroy). He won an Edgar for one of his stories
-- I don't remember if it was The Second Coming.

I've read everything of his (he hasn't published all that much) and I've never been disappointed. Just the other day people were critizing James Lee Burke for giving the game away in the first few books of his series; well, Gores hasn't done that. There's something enigmatic about his writing, something very Hammett.

Regards,

MrT

=====