RARA-AVIS: Hammett Exhibit

From: Mark Coggins ( coggins@immortalgame.com)
Date: 04 May 2001

Your roving San Francisco reporter here with a quick note on the Hammett Exhibit at the SF public library.

The exhibit is made up of Hammett letters, photographs and other personal effects. The most interesting bits (for me, at least) were these items:

- The only known proof copies of any Hammett work: to wit, the proofs for
_The Dain Curse_. It was interesting to see that his corrections were more than just punctuation, spelling, etc. On the pages displayed, he was still reworking whole sentences. The other funny thing is that one of his daughters had drawn all over several of the proof pages with crayon!

- One of his typewriters. Looked fairly modern, so I'm sure it wasn't THE machine used to write the Falcon or anything like that.

- His dog tags from WWII. He put his daughter Mary's address on them.

- Originals for a number of the photographs in the book of letters, including Peggy O'Toole (the model for Brigid O'Shaughnessy).

- Pencil drawings by Hammett and of Hammett by others. All the drawings of Hammett show bottles of booze next to him.

There were also a number of the letters included in the book.

I don't know if the exhibit is going to move around the country, but its definitely worth checking out if you get the opportunity.

That's it.

     --MC

---
Mark Coggins