RARA-AVIS: Dorothy B. Hughes Month

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 03 May 2001

I haven't read anything by her yet this month, in fact, I've never read anything by her. I have three of her books and started one (perhaps THE DAVIDIAN REPORT) but it didn't grab me and I dropped it after a few chapters.

I did see an adaptation of one of her books recently: IN A LONELY PLACE, with Bogart and Gloria Grahame, was on TV the other week. I assume it's fairly close to the book? I hadn't seen it in years, and after having seen a couple of other Bogie movies recently where he plays a hero, this was a surprise. He's got a very unpleasant side to his character and ends up trying to strangle his girlfriend. Are Hughes's other books of a similar depressing and harrowing nature?

Which of THE DAVIDIAN REPORT, THE SO BLUE MARBLE and THE FALLEN SPARROW would make the best first Hughes to read?

Bill