Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reads

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Apr 2001

<<Richard Prather -- GAT HEAT and THE COCKEYED CORPSE

Well, just when I said that I never read a Prather that made me laugh out loud I found one that did. GAT HEAT is absolutley tremendous, highly recommended.>>

I agree. It's a raucous riot (I claim a first for this terrible quasipleonasm). There are lots of unforgettable scenes. The guy writes well, too, let's face it.

Now, I have a more positive opinion of James Lee Burke.He has a well-defined style, a framework, and he sticks to it. Some of his plots I've found weird, or unfocussed. Burke is descended not from the hardboiled school but from the naturalistic Southern school (Faulkner, O'Connor). I don't hear echoes of Hammett or Chandler in his work, which is rare in a crime writer.

What do the fedoras and fedorettes think of Burke?

Regards,

MrT

=====